by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Moora : Directory 2010-11
Moora Community Directory -- 9 Shire Information St James Anglican Church Located in Roberts Street Before St James was built in 1911, church services were held at the Moora Police Station, which served many public uses. It was named after a little church at Stoneyfield in England, the birthplace of Walter Padbury, who had bequeathed a large amount of money for its construction. The first rector was Rev. F Gunning who served the parish from 1909 to 1921 and then again from 1927 until 1935. This Victorian Gothic building was designed by William Nelson and built of stone with an iron roof and timber floors by a local builder, JW Clarke. The west end was originally built of timber but was replaced by stone in 1954 when a porch was also added. The church had a new roof installed in 2006. Service Station Located in Clinch Street On the eastern side of the railway line on the northern wall of the service station there is a mural about the army camps that were located in and around the Moora District during World War II. There were some 50,000 men located at these training camps. There is interpretative signage across the road that details the camp sites. Rotary Clock On the eastern side of the road is Rotary Centennial Park. The original clock tower was erected in the late 1950's and was refurbished in 2005 to celebrate the Centenary of Rotary. The tower now has stained glass panels on each side and is best viewed at night when the magnificence of the panels are revealed. The pictures on the panels came from designs by school children and were adapted into the panels by local artist Richard Apel, who also manufactured this outstanding structure. Moora Post Office On the north corner of Dandaragan and Padbury Street intersection the Moora Post Office is still used today. This handsome building has white stone walls, a gabled roof of corrugated iron and wooden floors. The style of the design appears to have been influenced by George Temple-Poole, Colonial Architect from 1885 to 1897, and it makes an interesting comparison with the Claremont Post Office built in 1897. The main structure of the building was probably built in 1912 by DW Griffiths, although a Post Office has been operating on the site since 1896. A small shed thought to have been part of the original Post Office is at the back of the building but has been concealed by additions over the years.