by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Moora : Directory 2010-11
Moora Community Directory -- 17 STATISTICS Shire of Victoria Plains Townships • Calingiri • Bolgart • Yerecoin • New Norcia • Piawaning • Mogumber • Gillingarra Area of the Shire 2,563 sq km Population 1,029 Number of Dwellings 450 Length of Roads (Council responsibility) -Sealed 302 km -Unsealed 615 km SHIRE OF VICTORIA PLAINS HISTORY White settlement in the Victoria Plains district began in 1836, when George Fletcher Moore explored the Moore River. Further exploration was undertaken by Captain John Scully who, in a letter to the Governor in March 1841, reported the naming of the area as the Victoria Plains. There was some conjecture at the time at they felt that the name "Plains" did not accurately describe the hilly countryside, especially that of the Darling Scarp at the west of the Shire. However, east of the Toodyay Bindi Bindi Road, the name Plains was quite appropriate. In 1846 a party of Catholic Missionaries led by Dom Rosendo Salvado founded a Benedictine mission at New Norcia and in 1871 the Victoria Plains Roads Board was established. Victoria Plains was one of the frst of nineteen Road Boards established in Western Australia to build and maintain roads and bridges. Victoria Plains has a long and interesting history, with well recorded stories dating back to the 1840’s. Stories about early settlement, places of education, the war years, the advancing years of the 50's/60's and the development of Victoria Plains to be the leading agricultural region it is today. In the early days, Victoria Plains stretched all the way from the Indian Ocean to the South Australian border and from Carnamah in the North, to Bolgart in the South. These boundaries contracted over the years and today, our total area lies across 256,973 hectares with a population of 1000. The area is renowned for its prosperous agricultural activities, beautiful wildfowers, picturesque scenery and of course, the home of the Benedictine Community at New Norcia. SPORT AND RECREATION FACILITIES Calingiri Golf Course Football Oval Hockey Field Tennis/Basketball Courts Squash Courts Bowling Green Community Gymnasium Recreation Hall Bolgart Bowling Green Tennis Courts Recreation Hall Yerecoin Tennis/Netball Courts Recreation Hall Golf Course New Norcia Golf Course Swimming Pool Basketball Courts Tourism and Attractions Regular Events Wildfower Walk – 3rd Sunday in September WYENING MISSION & WINERY At the south-east of the Shire stands the old Benedictine Mission House & Cellars at Wyening. Now privately owned, the owners are gradually restoring the buildings. The Cellars, built during WWI still have some original Vats & Casks, see old wine making paraphernalia including tools, wedges, etc. The Mission House was erected in 1892 and was built traditionally to form a cross. "The Mission" hosts bus tours, craft mornings and is open to the public by arrangements with the owners. MUSEUM, ART GALLERY & SHOP - NEW NORCIA The Museum contains everything from the founder's gold teeth to gifts from Isabella II, Queen of Spain. The extensive array of artifacts tells the story of New Norcia's time as an Aboriginal Mission, the centre of the monks extensive farming activities and place of education and culture. The Art Gallery upstairs houses the Australia's largest collection of European and Contemporary religious art. NEW NORCIA HERITAGE TRAIL Self guided tour which features many of New Norcia’s landmarks including the Abbey Church, Bishop Salvado's Statue, the 19th Century Sundial, the Bishop's Well and the Beehouse. Suitable for all walkers - 2km trail or 1.7km loop. CANTERBURY CRAFT Historic Canterbury is located 3km South of New Norcia. It caters for a wide variety of local arts and crafts, including Aboriginal Crafts. Canterbury specialises in sheepskin products including coats, seat covers, ugg boots, bags, toys and souvenirs. ACCOMMODATION Other places to stay in Victoria Plains include the New Norcia Hotel, Bolgart Hotel, Yerecoin Tavern, New Norcia Guest House and Local Bed and Breakfasts. The Benedictine Community of New Norcia cater for medium to large groups up to 300 people in the Colleges. WILDFLOWERS The Victoria Plains offer many attractive wildfower drives. The most prolifc area for natural fora is along The Old Plains Road which runs for 29km and was once used by the Benedictine Monks for travelling to Perth. Many varieties of wildfowers and also many species of wildlife can be found around this area including birds, lizards, kangaroos and echidnas. Shire Information